Seresto Dog is an innovative, odorless and water-resistant collar for the prevention and control of fleas, various species of ticks and biting lice in dogs.
The wide registration and ease of use of the product makes Seresto an indispensable choice of assortment:
- Up to 8 months of continuous protection against ticks and fleas
- Water resistant
- Suitable collars for dogs and cats
- Long-term protection against disease transmission of Babesiosis, Anaplasmosis and Leishmaniosis in dogs
How does the Seresto collar work?
The collar releases continuously a low dose of the active substances imidacloprid and flumethrin. Seresto also protects via the skin flakes, containing the active ingrediens, the direct surroundings of the animal against development of flea larvae. The product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for flea allergy dermatitis (FAD).
Although not mentioned in the leaflet, the Seresto collar lowers the risk of an infection with Leishmania, a disease transmitted by sand flies.
The collar remains active against fleas and ticks for up to 8 months. There are two different Seresto collars available for dogs:
- Seresto Dog <8 kg with a length of 38 cm is suitable for dogs with a body weight of up to 8 kg.
- Seresto Dog >8 kg with a length of 70 cm is suitable for dogs with a body weight from 8 kg.
Why do I need the Seresto collar for dogs?
It is important to treat all animals in the house against fleas, like cats. In case of a flea infestation, or the existing risk of a flea infestation, it is also necessary to treat the infected environment, so that you kill larvae and all adult fleas in the house. Indoor-X Spray is a suitable product for this.
Fleas are intermediate hosts of the dog tapeworm Dipylidium Caninum. This tapeworm can be transmitted by swallowing a flea by dogs and cats. This is one of the reasons why veterinarians advise regularly deworming your pets. It is wise to deworm all adult dogs up to 4 times a year or sometimes even more depending on the risk of infection.
Also see our blog post about worm control in dogs and cats.
|Manufacturer||Bayer Healthcare, Animal Health|
|Type of animal||Dog|
|Age||Puppy, Young, Adult, Senior|
For the control of fleas, various species of ticks and biting lice in dogs.
- Fleas: Ctenocephalides canis (dog flea), Ctenocephalides felis (cat flea)
- Ticks: Ixodes ricinus, Rhipicephalus sanguineus, Dermacentor reticulatus
- Biting lice: Trichodectes canis
Seresto also protects the direct surroundings of the animal against development of flea larvae.
The product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for flea allergy dermatitis (FAD).
|Contra indication||Do not use in puppies under 7 weeks.|
Read the instructions and packaging before use.
- Small dogs up to 8 kg of body weight use a collar of 38 cm in length. Dogs over 8 kg are given a collar of 70 cm in length.
- A collar per dog to attach around the neck. For external use only.
- The collar should be worn continuously.
- The efficacy against fleas and ticks start immediately after applying the collar and keeps up to 8 months.
- Already present ticks on your dog can best be removed first, because it will take some time before the collar will be fully active.
- The collar is so designed that suffocation or strangulation will be prevented. If your dog gets stuck, the buckle will come loose or the collar will break at the special breaking point.
How do I use the Seresto collar?
The collar can best be applied to the start of the flea or tick season.
To work properly the collar should touch the skin with not too many hairs in between, so the active ingredients can spread throughout the total fur via the skin fat. The collar fits well if you can place 2 flat fingers between the collar and the neck of the dog. See also in the leaflet 'instructions for proper administration'.
- Seresto Collar Dog Small 38 cm (12.5 g) contains 1.25 g and 0.56 g imidacloprid flumethrin.
- Seresto Collar Dog Large 70 cm (45 g) contains 4.5 g of imidacloprid and 2.03 g flumethrin.
- During the first days after application occasional mild itching and / or redness can occur, also light hair loss and mild skin reactions.
- Allergic contact dermatitis may occur in sensitive animals.
Symptoms usually disappear within one to two weeks without the collar needs to be removed.
Sometimes temporarily removing the collar is useful until the symptoms have disappeared.
Make sure the collar is not too tight, especially in growing animals.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Attachment of individual ticks after the treatment can not be ruled out.
- The use of the product is not recommended in pregnant or lactating bitches.
- Prolonged and intense contact with water, as well as intensive washing with shampoo should be avoided.
- In the unlikely event that an animal would eat the collar, mild gastrointestinal symptoms (eg. loose stools) may occur.
- Avoid contact with the collar, especially by children.
- After the application of the collar wash your hands with cold water.
See also the information leaflet.
Other names for the Seresto collar:
- In Finnish - Seresto punkkipanta, kirppu kaulus or rasti kaulus.
- In Danish - Seresto flåtthalsbånd, halsbånd, tick krave, floh halskæde or loppehalsbånd.
- In Swedisch - Seresto loppkrage, tick rage, fästinghalsband or floh halsband.
For the cat we have the Seresto Cat Collar.
The information presented here is a summary of the information leaflet. Consult the full product information leaflet before use.